[plug] hdparm troubles

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Sun Jul 18 11:39:53 WST 2004

On Sun, 18 Jul 2004 09:16 am, Bernd Felsche wrote:
> On Sunday 18 July 2004 00:45, Craig Ringer wrote:
> > I'd try 2.4.recent first. Why upgrade a whole major series just to /see/
> > if there are some driver improvements that might help?
>
> IIRC, he's running a newer kernel than I. It works with SuSE's build
> of 2.4.16.

Yep - 2.4.22, latest is only 2.4.26 - I'll leave this as-is for now.

> # cat /proc/ide/drivers
> ide-floppy version 0.97.sv
> ide-cdrom version 4.59
> ide-disk version 1.11

Mine is ide-disk version 1.17

> I'd first confirm that the IDE cable is correct, that the drive
> functions "correctly" on another system, that another drive behaves
> as badly on the same system and that the BIOS is up to date.

min:~# cat /proc/ide/via
-----------------------Primary IDE-------Secondary IDE------
Cable Type:                   80w                 40w

Previous drive, a Seagate 30Gb acted exactly the same - upgrading the drive
was the reason for having another go at getting the performance up a bit.
The bios was upgraded about 6 months ago (to enable USB booting) to the latest
available for my board - EPIA Bios ver 1.06, 19/6/2003. I've checked and
there is nothing newer available.

> As outlined in another message; hdparm's behaviour is puzzling.

Every case of hdparm -Tt I have seen in messages has a different test block
size - from the low 100's to around 2000MB - seems to be dynamic depending on
the processor speed (and maybe memory capacity)?

I think I will drop this to background priority for now and investigate the
possibility of strangeness in the Via chipset or driver patches.

Thanks heaps to all who have helped on this, I'll report back to the list
anything I find that may be a help to anyone else later.

Steve

--
VOIP-Phone - Free World Dialup number 454566 - Via 128k ISDN
"Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves