[plug] Windows Linux Samba problem

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Sun Jul 18 20:19:44 WST 2004

Recently I emailed the list about a samba problem I was having regarding a
Windows Box and a Linux Box.
The problem is as follows:
Samba traffic between:
         The windows computers[1] and my Linux workstation[2] crawls to a
halt.
         The windows computers and my Linux server[3] is fine.
         The windows computers is fine.
         My Linux server and my Linux workstation is fine.
         The Linux server and windows computers and my Linux workstation
when it has dual booted into WindowsXP is fine.
All other network traffic that I have tested (ftp, ssh, pop3, nfs)[4] flows
alright between all the computers.
 From memory from the last thread I Managed to copy a file from the Linux
Workstation to the Win2k Box and windows created a placeholder for the file
but didn't copy any data and failed with a message but failed to remove the
placed holder that was exactly the right size except full of garbage (what
ever was on the disk in the blocks that the placeholder referenced.) Trying
to copy some files from the Xp box to the Linux workstation resulted in a
"Path to deep" error. I managed to get the 300Mb worth of photos to the
workstation by copying them to the Linux server and the over NFS to the
Linux box(I didn't have time to check to see if I had ftp installed as it
was disabled). After enabling ftp this evening I managed to copy a 500Mb
file from the Linux workstation to the XP box in reasonable time.[4]
All computers are connected through the same 100Mbit switch and it doesn't
matter which cables are used.
This isn't the first installation that this has happened on and it may not
be the same computer. The previous time it was on Debian(Some version just
before 3.0) and I tried updating samba to 3. Not long after that I scrapped
that hard drive so I didn't get to test if that worked. As this workstation
is running Samba 3.0.1 I don't think it was an old samba problem.
Ifconfig shows that eth0 has had 272 errors and it increases every time a
samba packet flows when it is crawling to a halt. No dropped or overrun
packets.
I'm out of ideas.
Thanks
Tim
p.s. I like the samba function to filter out visible and/or accessible
files. No longer am I sharing executables, dll's, windows system files and
windows password files.

[1] 1 Win2k (P3 800), 1 WinXP(P2 400), Identical network cards. On
Workgroup "Workgroup"
[2] Knoppix HD install 3.4, Samba 3.0.1 On Workgroup "Workgroup"
         Intel desktop board.
         3Com (3c905C) network card
[3] Debian 3.0r1 Samba 2.2.3a-12 On Domain/Workgroup "White.lan" (It has
been set up as a domain controller)
[4] Speed test copying file over ftp from Linux Workstation to WindowsXP
computer
         ftp: 515253748 bytes received in 312.53Seconds 1648.66Kbytes/sec.

weirdo AT tigris DOT org (MSN Enabled) | ICQ# 255176389 | Riverton, Perth, WA
--- Computer languages are the only real universal languages