[plug] [OTish] VPN and China Firewall?

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 20 17:52:41 WST 2004

Senectus . wrote:
> I have a client that is trying to VPN from inside of china and we're
> getting strange results..
> Stuff like the VPN software is Authenticating, and "some" packets will
> get back here but some wont...
> Is it possible that the "Great Firewall of China" is causing us some heartache?

Given that you haven't even mentioned what sort of VPN you're trying to
set up, it's rather hard to say :-(
Frankly, I doubt it a lot. I was able to use SSH tunnels with no
problems, at least, and why block one technology that can be used for
unfiltered 'net access (ssh tunnel to an HTTP proxy) but not another?

> Also is it possible for services out side of the vpn tunnel to block ICMP etc?

Unless the VPN is frighteningly not-so-P, it should not be possible.

> It is hard to test this stuff me being here and the client being in China... :-/

Been there, done that. The power going off reguarly didn't help with the
guy I was trying to work with. Nor did the fact that I had to catch him
early in his day, before he'd caught up with too much beer...

--
Craig Ringer