[plug] 2nd NIC not loading

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Tue Jul 20 19:17:20 WST 2004

On Tue, Jul 20, 2004 at 07:54:13PM +0800, Jon  Miller wrote:
> Like to know where and how do I get the 2nd NIC in a Debian server to
> load the module at bootup.  It's a e100.o driver for the Intel
> Ethernet Card and it does not load automatically.  I have to issue a
> insmod command to load the module and then the commands to load eth1
> and the default gateway.

Put a line "e100" in /etc/modules.  Make sure it's after the line for
the first network interface so that the e100 becomes eth1.

> Also I want to make 192.168.100.1 the default gateway for the server
> as this point to the router interface.

The gateway line in /etc/network/interfaces as you have it below should
do that.  If, after boot, you're currently doing

  modprobe e100
  ifup eth1

your default gateway should be set automatically.  If you're issuing
ifconfig commands instead of ifup, then you'll have to set the gateway
yourself (like you've said you're doing now).

But if you load the module automatically (by referencing it in
/etc/modules), then eth1 will exist when the network gets configured,
and all will be good.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
No matter how much you do you never do enough.