[plug] [scarf3b at yahoo.com.au: [plug-ctte] Modem problems]

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Jul 21 09:27:51 WST 2004

This message was sent to committee at plug.  Terry probably isn't
subscribed to the list, please CC him on any replies (and mention the
mailing list!).

----- Forwarded message from Terry Hunt <scarf3b at yahoo.com.au> -----

Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:51:08 +1000 (EST)
To: committee at plug.org.au
From: Terry Hunt <scarf3b at yahoo.com.au>
Subject: [plug-ctte] Modem problems

Hi there,

Just seeing if there's any-one at P.L.U.G. that can point me in the
right direction in regards to actually being able to get a modem to
work on my new Mandrake system. I was at the installfest at the
week-end and got Mandrake put on my computer but no-one explained how
difficult it would be to be able to get this thing to work
on-line. I'm sorry I have no expertise with the inner machinations of
this magical device I'm sitting in front of, I'm used to Windows doing
all the work, even if I have to pay Microsoft every time I need to
actually do something with the thing. I thought I'd try Linux to see
if the claims of new user-friendlyness were true. I've talked to Linux
IT about a modem to work on Linux and only get blank stares as if I've
asked a rude question. A computer shop sold me a new modem saying that
they thought it may work ( No-one was prepared to put thier name on
the line).

I have looked up a few sites on the net ( thank god for Explorer ) and
it seems to me that user-friendly and modem are not words that go
together in the Linux world.  The crux of the matter is: Can I go out
and buy a modem that I can plug into this computer to make my shiny
new Linux system work on the Net. If so please,please, please point me
in that direction.

Thanks very much for your time and any help you may be able to supply.
Terry Hunt