[plug] [scarf3b at yahoo.com.au: [plug-ctte] Modem problems]

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Wed Jul 21 10:14:12 WST 2004

On Wed, 2004-07-21 at 11:27, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> This message was sent to committee at plug.  Terry probably isn't
> subscribed to the list, please CC him on any replies (and mention the
> mailing list!).

Terry, I suggest that you subscribe to the mailing list for all manner
of on-line instant assistance :-)

        PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.linux.org.au

> ----- Forwarded message from Terry Hunt <scarf3b at yahoo.com.au> -----
>
> Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 01:51:08 +1000 (EST)
> To: committee at plug.org.au
> From: Terry Hunt <scarf3b at yahoo.com.au>
> Subject: [plug-ctte] Modem problems
>
> Hi there,
>
> Just seeing if there's any-one at P.L.U.G. that can point me in the
> right direction in regards to actually being able to get a modem to
> work on my new Mandrake system. I was at the installfest at the
> week-end and got Mandrake put on my computer but no-one explained how
> difficult it would be to be able to get this thing to work
> on-line.

Well, that is a pretty loaded way of approaching the problem. I
understand your frustration and on occasion share it also. The challenge
you're facing is not a new one and you should not feel like you are on
your own either.

PLUG is a great place to get help in all manner of issues that can and
will crop up. No-one ever said that Linux is the answer to everyone's
problems, but let me start with giving you some tips...

Seeing as I wasn't at the Install Fest, nor do I run Mandrake, nor do I
use a modem, I can only supply you with general comment.

There is a large variety of modems available and you don't supply me
with a hint to what you are needing to achieve. Also, I presume you're
connected in some way, otherwise I'd not be reading your email.

     1. Is the computer you are writing this email on, the same one that
        you had Mandrake installed on and want to use to connect to the
        net? If yes, then what modem is it?
     2. Are you using your modem with a dial-up account or
        ADSL/Cable/ISDN?
     3. If you don't have a modem yet, is the modem you are looking at
        Internal or External?
     4. If you don't have a modem yet, did you know there are at least
        five ways to connect a modem, some work better or are simpler to
        install than others - see below.

Some modem types and their uses:

Modems can be connected to your computer in several ways, either as an
on monther board modem, additional internal card, as a USB device, as a
serial device or as an Ethernet device.

I've avoided internal modems like the plague for many years and I don't
intend to stop now, and I don't regularly use on-board ones either.
Others on this list may be able to assist with those.

Serial and Ethernet modems are generally simplest to setup.

USB modems can work out of the box, or they can also require all manner
of configuration. Search google with the model of the modem you want to
use before you purchase.

Now if all that wasn't complicated enough, you also need to make your
modem talk to the other end. Under Windows, this is likely done with the
Dial-Up settings, but under Linux, this is done most likely with a PPP
client of some sort.

Finally, if you've gotten to here in the message, please understand that
we here at PLUG are happy to assist with questions, and remember that
many millions of people use Linux every day. Things work differently
under Linux, just like a diesel engine doesn't work the same as a petrol
one, both get you to your destination.

Hope this helps.