[plug] newbie - office install on wine

Jay Warwick jtwarwick at iinet.net.au
Fri Jul 23 07:27:13 WST 2004

Tried to run wine that came with Mandrake 10, but wouldn't work so I
decided to go it alone by installing the latest version (Wine
20040716).  Everything seems ok i.e. I can open notepad, but get the
following error trying to install office 2000.  This error is created
after right clicking on setup.exe and choosing 'wine'
Error Start -
err:wave:OSS_WaveOutInit /dev/mixer1: No such file or directory

fixme:msi:MsiEnableLogA 00000516 "c:\\windows\\temp\\Office 2000 Premium
Setup(0012)_MsiExec.txt" 0
  fixme:msi:MsiInstallProductW L"Z:\\mnt\\cdrom2\\data1.msi" L" "

fixme:msi:HANDLE_CustomType1 DATABASE NOT THREADSAFE... not starting

fixme:msi:HANDLE_CustomType1 DATABASE NOT THREADSAFE... not starting
                                         fixme:msi:HANDLE_CustomType1
DATABASE NOT THREADSAFE... not starting
                             fixme:msi:HANDLE_CustomType1 DATABASE NOT
THREADSAFE... not starting
                 fixme:msi:HANDLE_CustomType1 DATABASE NOT THREADSAFE...
not starting
     err:msi:COND_GetOne Got unknown character /(2f)
                                                                              - Error Finish

This produces an error in a window -
Error Start -
[ProductNameNonQualified] setup needs to replace some Windows system
components.  This requires administrator rights.  Please log in as an
administrator to complete [ProductNameNonQualified] Setup.
- Error Finish
After clicking ok the wineconsole closes and the error window disappears
so i can't get any more info.

Note - I no longer using M$Office instead preferring openoffice but need
to keep a windows machine for the kids school stuff.  When I send
documents I send in native openoffice format including in the e-mail how
the receiver can download openoffice to open document.  If they don't
want to download I then convert to pdf using openoffice.  just wondering
what else we can do to help convert others to Linux and other open
source applications.

Thanks
JW