[plug] CDMA 1x for broadband blackspots

Steve Boak sboak at westnet.com.au
Fri Jul 23 20:34:11 WST 2004

Hi you lucky ADSL users...

I had heard CDMA 1x suggested for rural areas where physical lines are not
available or not up to a standard that wired broadband is a viable option. A
a large part of my local area fits into that description. Wireless connection
at 144Kb/sec wherever there is CDMA mobile coverage? Sounds great!

After a little research, it seems only if you have very deep pockets, and live
in Sydney, Melbourne or Brisbane metropolitan areas :-)

From http://www.telstra.com.au/mobile/business/plans/cdma1x.htm

Usage 	Monthly data		Monthly fee	Charge/10KB	Speed
Low   	1MB				$10			10¢  		72 kbps
Medium  	4MB				$30			10¢			72 kbps
High   	15MB			$85			10¢			144 kbps

No, I didn't type the above charge wrongly - it does say $85 for 15MB, and 10c
per additional 10KB! (but you can stay online for 24 hours for each 22c
connection fee. If the connection doesn't drop out.) How does that look to
those of you used to bumping up against GB limits?

Working out the cost of your average daily use at the above charges is left as
an exercise for the interested reader :-)

Steve

P.S. Apologies if my tabs don't line up with yours...

--
VOIP-Phone - Free World Dialup number 454566 - Via 128k ISDN

"Most men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most pick themselves
up and continue on as if nothing had happened." - Winston Churchill