[plug] [OT] CDMA 1x for broadband blackspots

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Fri Jul 23 23:01:08 WST 2004

Burstable to 144kbit... in practice it seems to be around the 80-90kbit
mark... but it fluctuates a bit.  I've seen it in use... and its rather
interesting.  Those plans suck though... but there are other plans you
can get onto, but they still aren't really competitive with ADSL
prices.  Basically all it was, was with a PCMCIA card in a laptop and
some software from Telstra to start the connection... of course it'd be
Windows only.

I think its still aimed at mobile laptop users... so sort of competing
in the wireless net access space, not really the broadband space.  It is
better than wireless in that the fella that was showing it off, said
that he had actually had it working on the internet with signal so poor
that it wouldn't hold a phone call, but the cdma1x service was working
perfectly still.  Telstra are still upgrading their cdma towers to be
cdma1x capable, and they are doing it to all of their cdma towers.  For
instance I think all of the towers up here in the Kimberley have been
done... but Telstra are holding off on really announcing it and
publicising it until its all done.  I think they were supposed to be
aiming at around September this year for a proper product launch.  So
you may see some better plans for it come out around that time as well.

/ Ben