[plug] Weird network fallover?

Andrew Furey simpware at yahoo.com
Sun Jul 25 14:57:38 WST 2004

--- Ryan <ryan at is.as.geeky.as> wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-07-23 at 14:39, Marc Wiriadisastra
> wrote:
> > It might be completely unrelated but I had a
> > similar incident and it just happened that all
> > that was happening was that the win box didn't
> > like dhcpd for some reason.  So all I did was make
> > it static and it worked.
>
> ditto. I i think it was dhclient I've had problems
> with in the past.  It daemonises and will
> repeatedly request IPs at seemingly random times -
> sometimes even if you have no interfaces designated
> as dynamic.  If you've manually assigned an IP to
> the interface, it will wipe it out with DHCP
> information when it feels like it.  Be worth
> checking if dhclient or variants are lurking in the
> process list unnecessarily maybe?

Ah, silly me. Checking on on the Linux box didn't
reveal any processes (dhcp-client is installed but not
used), but the Windows box showed that the NIC had
been "installed" twice; one with the correct static IP
info, and the other dynamic. Bleh...

Thanks Ryan, Marc.

Andrew

=====
Linux supports the notion of a command line or a shell for the same
reason that only children read books with only pictures in them.
Language, be it English or something else, is the only tool flexible
enough to accomplish a sufficiently broad range of tasks.
                          -- Bill Garrett

http://au.movies.yahoo.com