[plug] Novell / IBM training

Jon Miller jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
Mon Jul 26 20:34:53 WST 2004

Yeah I agree, I wasn't expecting too much from the technical side, since that would have taken more time and explanation, but for an overview of what IBM , Novell and SUSE are doing seems good.  Keep in mind that Novell and IBM have products and application that they want to sell, and they want to use SUSE as their vehicle.

Overall it was good

Jon

Jon L. Miller,  ASE, CNS, CLS, MCNE
Director/Sr Systems Consultant
MMT Networks Pty Ltd
http://www.mmtnetworks.com.au

"I don't know the key to success, but the key to failure
 is trying to please everybody." -Bill Cosby

At 12:37 26/07/2004 +0800, Senectus . wrote:
>For those of you that are interested this is DAMN good value..
>http://www.novell.com/training/linux/workshop/ap_workshop.html
>
>We're about 10 people away from another class (I hear) being setup for
>maybe august.. so register your interest asap if you want to go..

I went to the one they held in Perth two weeks ago.   Very full
house.  Sounds like the same thing they wanted $39 for then.   Note the
blurb says "advanced Linux users should not attend" but there were quite a
few in the audience who are obviously using Linux pretty darned effectively
:-)   Quite a few of my colleagues from the HDWA side of town, staunch
Novell + Windows users who had either been dabbling in Linux or were
impressed (by the Linux side) out of the box.

Don't expect a lot of high-tech insights in the actual demo - the fellow
walked us through an installation of SUSE (no lowercase u now apparently)
on an IBM laptop.   The presenter was talking at the level of "these are
several useful commands ... ls mkdir rmdir"   ps did not rate a
mention.   I'm not being negative just pointing out what was on offer
then.   Presenter was responding to higher-level questions from the
audience.  The upside was a goodie bag including full 3-CD set of SUSE, a
trial version of Novell on Linux, an amazingly good spread of food if being
held at Excom in the City, and people who liked to talk shop during the breaks!

I went along principally because I wanted to see how Linux is being
portrayed in the marketplace and what Novell customers could expect to
see.   Not a lot of emphasis on the Novell side - certainly we did not get
into NDS trees, etc.   Hey, what can you fit into one day anyway :-)   SUSE
installed semi-cleanly onto the IBM laptop.   The show stopper was the
non-recognition of the NIC, the correction to which was explained and
demonstrated to be viable - grab a different driver :-)

Cheers,
Denis

PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.linux.org.au