[plug] Backups

Marc Wiriadisastra marc-w at smlintl.com.au
Tue Jul 27 16:04:26 WST 2004

I've just been doing heaps of reading up and the majority of people are
saying don't use tar because as its getting fed through programs such as
tar and cpio it alters file systems if they are mounted as read write.
The people at the dump web site are saying that dump does not alter file
system and to use dump to create backups.  I'm starting to get real
confused real easy maybe its just me.  I've always used tar to move
stuff around apart from the 2GB file size limit but thats just how I set
it up I think.

Anyways do I have to mount the file system as read only backup then
unmoutn and remount it as read and write.  As I said this sits on 24/7
granted its not used constantly and I'm not worried about but its just a
situation where I don't want to lose data and the just in case a
murphy's stupid laws is what concerns me.

TIA

Marc