[plug] Backups

Craig Ringer craig at postnewspapers.com.au
Tue Jul 27 16:12:46 WST 2004

Nick Bannon wrote:

> That'd be "zip" (Info-Zip), that handy cross platform tool that happens
> to have a DOS port as well as the PK-ware implementation. ::-)
>
> "unzip -X" is needed for ownership, but basic permissions and symlinks
> seem to get restored by default.

Interesting. I'd be a needing to keep ACLs and other extended attributes
as well though, which is something many of the UNIX-native archivers
can't even handle. I don't see any indication that Info-Zip can either.

I'm not currently using ACLs very heavily, but I'm increasingly getting
frustrated with the *NIX permissions model (just let me put a group in a
group, dammit!) and expect my use of ACLs to increase. Especially once
NetATalk gets decent ACL support.

ACLs can easily bloat into unmanagable messes, but well used I'm
increasingly suspect they'll make life a LOT easier than the current
set-up. It's not like our needs are even all that complex...

--
Craig Ringer