[plug] Booting linux of an iPod?

James Budworth tsuki_yomi at zephilia.dyndns.org
Thu Jul 29 09:50:16 WST 2004

On Thu, 29 Jul 2004, Adam Hewitt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to get a linux install onto an iPod
> and then get the PC/laptop to boot off USB and boot the linux install
> off the iPOD? The reason I ask is that I have recently changed jobs, and
> I have been given a laptop. However with the implementation of an SOE I
> am unable to modify anything on it, but I would like to be able to boot
> into linux to get some development work done.
>
> The reason I am asking about the iPOD, is because I would obviously need
> an external drive for this undertaking, but I will shortly be in the
> masket for a HDD mp3 player so if I could combine the two that would be
> awesome.
>
> Any ideas or info would be appreciated.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adam.

Well the first thing you will need to check is that the laptop itself will
actually boot from USB.  There are quite a few machine nowadays that will
boot from USB, but my expiriences with with a bootable USB memory stick
have shown that not all machines WILL actually boot from USB despite
saying thay will.

Other than that, it _should_ work.  But you will have to be careful about
messing with the iPod's firmware partition.  Mess that up and you will
have to restore the firmware again.

--
James Budworth