[plug] ownership

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Thu Jul 29 15:38:40 WST 2004

Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:

> 1. How do I enforce something going into a folder to be changed to the
> permissions of that folder ignoring what the users rights are.

*sigh* There's no easy way.  If it's an smb-mounted directory from a
Samba server you can use appropriate settings on the server to force
the permissions.  Otherwise you can do something similar using Posix
ACLs -- but I haven't got around to playing with those because for my
purposes I can get away with having all accesses to the shared
directory go through Samba.

> e.g. I have on my desktop a folder I transfer it to the /workdir on the
> server and people can't access it because the permissions are still what
> permisssions are on my computer.

Use chmod? :-P

> 2. I can't seem to login to the computer as anything but root as soon as
> I put my password in putty dies turns off?

Dunno, I can't make head or tail of the logs.

> 3. Lastly I have a samba login specifying my username and password in an
> auth.smb file with correct passwords uid and gid as well.  If I try to
> gui see it using kde it says I'm not allowed to if I go in through the
> console or konsole it allows me in there using the /mnt/ sections same
> folders same mountings.

Perhaps you need to specify the password in KDE?  (The password to use
for connecting to SMB shares is hidden somewhere in Control Centre.)

Cameron.