[plug] ownership

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 29 15:51:20 WST 2004

In message <4108A778.40304 at smlintl.com.au>
on Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 03:30:00PM +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> 1. How do I enforce something going into a folder to be changed to the
> permissions of that folder ignoring what the users rights are.
> e.g. I have on my desktop a folder I transfer

Via what means are you transferring those files?

> 2. I can't seem to login to the computer as anything but root as soon as
> I put my password in putty dies turns off?  Now if I ssh into it using
> the ssh marc-w at blah.com.au it spits out this error in the /var/log/messages
>
> Jul 29 15:19:20 dhcp-192-168-0-104 gdm(pam_unix)[2454]: session opened
> for user marc-w by (uid=0)

Um...I don't quite understand either your description or the relevance
of the log lines. I imagine that you are using PuTTY to connect from a
Windows machine to a Linux machine over a network. However, the above
log lines pertain to "gdm", which is a Linux display manager (i.e.
pretty much nothing to do with SSH).