[plug] ownership

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Thu Jul 29 16:15:45 WST 2004

In message <4108AF16.2030409 at smlintl.com.au>
on Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 04:02:30PM +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> James Devenish wrote:
> >In message <4108A778.40304 at smlintl.com.au>
> >on Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 03:30:00PM +0800, Marc Wiriadisastra wrote:
> >>1. How do I enforce something going into a folder to be changed to the
> >>permissions of that folder ignoring what the users rights are.
> >>e.g. I have on my desktop a folder I transfer
> >Via what means are you transferring those files?
> Ok I'm transferring the files using Open Office as in save as or kde
> using kde as in copy and paste or Konsole.

Aiyee. We're about to hit a language barrier here. I'm going to ignore
some things that you've previously said, make a few assumptions, and
make an answer based on that. Sounds like you have 'mounted' the
fileserver's disk onto your workstation over a network, so that it
appears just like a hard drive on your workstation. You say that you're
"saving" files into that fileserver. 'Saving' a file to a new location
is slightly different to what UNIX people usually mean by
"transferring". "Saving" a file to a new location is like "starting from
scratch". "Transferring", however, is not usually interpreted as
"starting from scratch". The permissions of a file created from scratch
will often depend on your "umask". This "umask" is a way of preventing
you from accidently making your files accessible to everyone. This is
quite intentional and it suits most people, but it happens to be
different from what you want. The precise rectification of this problem
will depend on details that you have not yet provided (I will now let
someone else deal with this).

> >>Jul 29 15:19:20 dhcp-192-168-0-104 gdm(pam_unix)[2454]: session opened
> >>for user marc-w by (uid=0)

That log line...is it coming from your workstation or from the remote
server to which you are attempting to connect? Can you contact the
administrator of that server?