[plug] iPod 40GB vs iRiver H140 40GB

Patrick Tehvand patrick at tehvand.com
Fri Jul 30 14:52:30 WST 2004

Adam Hewitt wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I am currently looking for HDD mp3 player and I have basically narrowed
> my choices down to these two. As these have enough differences to make
> the dicision difficult I have started a list of pros and cons of each.
> What I would like is some real world experiences that people have had
> with each and if you have anything to add to the pro's and con's of
> each. $650-750 is a lot to spend on an mp3 player and I would like to
> make sure I have all my bases covered.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adam.
>
> iPod:
>
> Pros:
> Excellent user interface
> ~$100 cheaper than iRiver (although I have found a place that does the
> iRiver for the same price)
> Massive amounts of third party add ons
>
> Cons:
> No remote (Non-LCD one available as optinal accessory)
> Battery doesn't last as long as iRiver
> Doesn't support OGG
> No Radio
> No Record function without third party Mic
> PC Magazine gives 4 stars
>
> iRiver:
>
> Pros:
> LCD Remote
> Radio
> Recording functionality
> Plays OGG
> Shows up as external hard drive, so OS independent (??)
> PC Magazine gives it 5 stars
>
> Cons:
> iRiver don't have a presence in their own forums
> Firmware is a little dodgy, however a new revision is due for August
> (apparently)
> Doesn't seem to have the same third party support

I have a 40G ipod and absolutly love it. I guess the pro's you have
outlined are part the reason I have one, but one can't deny the iconic
nature of "gadgets". I think a large portion of it is the fact that it
_is_ an ipod, and is so very nice to use. As it is a device that I have
with me constantly and in my hand more often than not, the sleakness and
great UI is all part and parcel to the features.

I guess the thing to ask yourself is what are you buying it for?

Do you want a MP3 player or a firewire HDD? Is file format an issue?

For me, I have an ibook so the issue of not playing OGG isnt an issue.

One last thing I have learnt is to never make your decisions with this
sort of thing based on "a new revision is due for August". Wait for the
revision if you are leaning toward the iriver and find out if the
firmware update does in-fact fix the issues.

hth.

Patrick