[plug] iPod 40GB vs iRiver H140 40GB

Adam Ashley adam_ashley at softhome.net
Fri Jul 30 22:54:35 WST 2004

On Fri, 2004-07-30 at 14:24 +0800, Adam Hewitt wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am currently looking for HDD mp3 player and I have basically narrowed
> my choices down to these two. As these have enough differences to make
> the dicision difficult I have started a list of pros and cons of each.
> What I would like is some real world experiences that people have had
> with each and if you have anything to add to the pro's and con's of
> each. $650-750 is a lot to spend on an mp3 player and I would like to
> make sure I have all my bases covered.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Adam.
>
> iPod:
>
> Pros:
> Excellent user interface
> ~$100 cheaper than iRiver (although I have found a place that does the
> iRiver for the same price)
> Massive amounts of third party add ons
>
> Cons:
> No remote (Non-LCD one available as optinal accessory)
> Battery doesn't last as long as iRiver
> Doesn't support OGG
> No Radio
> No Record function without third party Mic
> PC Magazine gives 4 stars
>
> iRiver:
>
> Pros:
> LCD Remote
> Radio
> Recording functionality
> Plays OGG
> Shows up as external hard drive, so OS independent (??)
> PC Magazine gives it 5 stars
>
> Cons:
> iRiver don't have a presence in their own forums
> Firmware is a little dodgy, however a new revision is due for August
> (apparently)
> Doesn't seem to have the same third party support
>

> --
> Adam Hewitt - CCNA, LCP
> Systems Engineer, iiNet

I have the iRiver and its hands down better than the iPod, the audio
quality is noticably better than any of the iPods ive listened too.

You mention the lack of third party support as a con for the iRiver,
frankly so what. 90% of the third party features of the iPod come as
standard on the iRivier

The firmware on the 140s is fine, havent had any problems with it. Also
at JB Hifi the prices on the two are quite comparable.

To your possible question yes the 140 does appear as a external hard
drive. it works perfectly with the linux usb-storage driver.

The only real issue I have with the 140 is that you cant record from the
FM reciever and you need a seperate powerpack to charge it with, both of
which are fixed in the 320 series (which despite what is said on the
iRiver site is available and JB HiFi has em). Of course it changes the
remote and gets rid of the LCD (my sister has one) frankly i prefer the
140.

Adam