[plug] HELP! Fedora, promise RAID, and no more /pub!

Ari Finander outrider at operamail.com
Thu Jun 3 05:52:13 WST 2004

Hi all,

I finally went ahead and got a second hard drive and set it up on my Gigabyte GA-7VRXPrev2 board on IDE3 (going on ide1-ide4, just to spare some conufusion) along with an identical drive that used to be on ide1 as /dev/hdb. My setup for fedora core 1 looked like this (briefly):

/dev/hdax /    fedora core 1 installation
/dev/hdb1 /pub (where all my backup files were kept)

Well, the promise RAID controller was set up to mirror the two hard drives, and it successfully copied the data from the existing drive to the new mirror drive.

Here's where my ignorance showed itself. I rebooted the system. It booted into fedora, and as things were scrolling by up the screen I noticed a complaint that it was unable to mount /pub. This is my fstab entry for /pub (which was formerly hdb1):

LABEL=/pub     /pub    ext3    defaults     1 2

Looking in /var/log/dmesg, I find:

hdg: ST380011A, ATA DISK drive
hdh: ST380011A, ATA DISK drive

Those are my mirrored drives. I've been up all night working on a project, and I'm not thinking all too clearly right now, so I'm not going to mess with it any further until this afternoon. What I'm hoping for is for someone to tell me how to get my file store drive working and automounting again under FC1. What file do I have to change to tell FC1 to mount hdg as /dev/hdg1 (where all my files still are, hopefully)? Is it as simple as changing the fstab entry?

TIA,

Ari