[plug] [OT] XSTL .vs. PHP .vs. ???

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Fri Jun 4 05:23:32 WST 2004

Some observations:
      * You state that you want to be able to distribute this on CD at
        some stage. That means that you either:
             1. Need to store static HTML on the CD
             2. Install PHP on each client
             3. Write an application in JavaScript
             4. Write an application in Flash
             5. Write an application in Java
             6. Write an application in something else
      * You don't say how much data there is, but storing it in XML,
        just for fun has no purpose IMHO.
      * If you have access to Apache and PHP, it is pretty trivial to
        install MySQL, and your storage problem for your web-site goes
        away.
      * I avoid JavaScript at all cost because it's an evil incompatible
        hack that requires you to code around all the different silly
        implementations in a browser. If you *need* it, solve the
        problem differently.
      * Your questions regarding XSL/XML etc. indicate that you'll spend
        more time figuring out how to store this rather simple data,
        than solve any real problems IMHO.
      * My advice, for free, is that you should do some design of what
        you need before you go anywhere near what you need to store,
        because doing it the other way around like you appear to be
        doing just wastes everyone's time for too many reasons to
        mention, IMHO.

So, now I'm off to have a cup of coffee...

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..