[plug] Debian VS Mandrake

Brock Woolf ultima160 at iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 4 18:33:51 WST 2004

Hey Guys.
I was listening to some radio archive mp3z from  www.thelinuxshow.com
it is a UK originated radio show.
It's pretty good and these guys were discussing linux/OSS/GPL/parliament
laws/linux on the desktop/Debian/KDE vs Gnome

Now they seem to be mentioning Debian a lot. (I take it thats what they
use mainly.
I am a 100% Mandrake user, however these guys have got me interested.
Could someone please tell me all the features/pros/cons/highlights/uses
of Debian, cause there are a lot of users on here too. Firstly i'll give
you my take on Mandrake 10.
And tell me what makes apt-get so fantastic?

PROS
* KDE is the main Desktop focus (I like KDE over Gnome, not that Gnome
is bad)
* Relatively Easy Installer
* Rock Solid stability
* Standard Mandrake works well as a Server (Net Gateway/Mail)
* Hardware > Good Support for a wide range of devices.
* Has RPMs for installation
* A less proprietry distribution (Like Lindows/Xandros/SuSe
* Comes with a good array of programs flphoto/GQview/
* DVD ripping and DECSS is good as Mandrake has the PLF (Penguin
Liberation Front) source repositories
* Mandrake favours OpenOffice.org not KOffice etc
* System Control Center is well designed and configuration is very easy
* Mandrake focus on stability and hardware support
* Features XFree4.3 not 4.4 (4.4 is not true to the GPL and has a semi
proprietory license)

CONS
* No out of the box support for Bluetooth devices (although it is
available)
* Sound support although good can be a little troublesome on the setup
if you have 2 soundcards
* Sbp2 Module is sometimes flakey, although i think this is Kernel
specific and not a Mandrake let down
* Comes with GIMP 1.2 instead of 2.0

I can't think of anything else for the moment. So please guys, share
your thoughts on Debian because I might convert if I hear it is the
bomb... or at least try it out.
Thanks guys. I appreciate it. :)