Window managers (was: Re: [plug] net banking)

Trevor Phillips T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au
Wed Jun 9 17:50:19 WST 2004

On Friday 04 June 2004 17:03, Cameron Patrick wrote:
> Trevor Phillips wrote:
> | (Disclaimer: Yes, I KNOW some other wm's have similar functionality - I
> | should probably check 'em out again one of these days. Any
> | recommendations from fellow tab-junkies?)
>
> Ion (from the same authors as pwm) does tabs.  It also has incredibly
> bad default keybindings.  You may find its automatic tiling a bit odd

Not that PWM has great bindings. I've honed my config, and it's one of the
first things I copy across when setting up pwm on a new system. ^_^

> at first, but for most of things that I use (xterms, Open Office, web
> browsing) it makes life a lot easier - your window manager does all of
> the work in positioning windows for you.

I tried Ion - but I like the "windows" part of PWM, which Ion didn't have back
then. I still wanted Mousey-Windows stuff - I just really liked being able to
tab-group them.

> Ion also has a pwm-like
> mode, and is very flexible in the ways that you can combine pwm-like
> desktops with ion-like ones.

Maybe it's time I took another look at Ion. ^_^
(Or at least "pwm2", which is pwm-like functionality on the Ion base. Just
reading up on it now.)

> Real purists will shun ion and use ratpoison instead :-)

^_^

: Web Technical Administrator     -          T.Phillips at murdoch.edu.au :
| IT Services                        -              Murdoch University |