[plug] Easy Mount

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Sun Jun 6 20:56:30 WST 2004

Brock Woolf wrote:

| As of late i have been getting tired of typing
| $ su
| password

You can mount things without being root by specifying the 'user'
option for the mount in /etc/fstab.  e.g.:

/dev/sda1       /usb            vfat    user,noauto,umask=0,showexec,quiet      0       0

| mount -t smbfs -username=root,password=password //192.168.1.1/master
| /home/brock/server

You can mount arbitrary smb shares without being root, using smbmount.  e.g.:

smbmount //euclid/cameron ~/mnt -o username=cameron,password=

(Aside: if you mount a Samba share on a recent Linux system, you see a
full Unixy filesystem which supports symbolic links and file
permissions and other goodness.)

| Is there anyway that I can create something so I can double-click on a
| Link or file to do this for me, the same goes for unmounting them.

Probably.  I think KDE and Gnome both allow you to place links on the
desktop that correspond to user-mountable devices in /etc/fstab.

Cameron.