[plug] dls-monitor

Anthony Wilson amwilson at swiftdsl.com.au
Mon Jun 7 23:21:55 WST 2004

Hi guys,

I'm building a new firewall, starting with a clean Debian installation,
and pointing nmap at it just for an initial look gives me the following:

brandt:/home/anthony# nmap -sS hungus

------------------
Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA31 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
Interesting ports on hungus (192.168.69.2):
(The 1551 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
Port       State       Service
22/tcp     open        ssh
111/tcp    open        sunrpc
2048/tcp   open        dls-monitor

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 2 seconds
------------------

I understand everything there except "dls-monitor".  None of the running
processes on the machine seem to bear any relation to it...

Now, there's not many questions that I find can't be answered by a
Google search, but that's giving me no luck in this case.  Also,
scouring "Practical Unix and Internet Security" and even scanning
various RFC's has come up with nothing useful.

So, can anyone put me out of my ignorance / misery?  What is this
dls-monitor and why is it running on this machine?

cheers,
Anthony