[plug] Linux Drivers

John Knight anarchist_tomato at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 9 19:23:07 WST 2004

> > I have read articles on updating your Nvidia drivers by running your
> > nvidia123.x86.sh file in command line without X running then changing
> > your Xfree file line from "nv" to "nvidia" intermediate at most, but how
> > would you install a sound card driver for example??
> > Can Linux drivers be installed as a plugin, as in Windows Drivers? Such
> > as getting a Creative_Vibra128snd.rpm file and simply installing it?
> > Or do you have to re-compile your Kernel? which I have never done and
> > think may be dangerous as i could render my system useless.
> > Can anyone shed some light on this?

Under Windows you get drivers for particular APIs, etc. Linux is basically
the same, with two main sound APIs ALSA and OSS..

>Depends if you want ALSA support or OSS.

ALSA is the new sound standard, which has hit 1.0 (I did the interview with
the team when it hit 1.0! hehe, shameless self promotion!). OSS is the old
standard which is being phased out and shouldn't be relied on if you have
any foresight (quick, get a beta vcr!). ALSA is now supported in the kernel
as well.

When you get Linux drivers, they are for these APIs to (usually), like
Windows. Unfortunately, companies are usually too lazy to officially support
Linux. Usually the drivers are supplied as part of the ALSA (or OSS) package
straight away, so you jsut have to configure your card, but it means that
drivers aren't bleeding edge, and that you have to wait until a developer
has bought the card and needs drivers, so he develops it!

>I tend to just use OSS as it is easier. There is an app called sndconfig
>(it's in Debian at least) that will detect your sound card and setup OSS
>for you. It will then play a sound file through you speakers a special
>message to you from Linus ;-)
>
>Usually you install a module (cmpci is mine for example) and kudzu or
>discover can also detect this for you.
>
>I haven't tried to setup ALSA in a while but it's supposed to be better
>not sure why.

As part of ALSA in official packages at least, there's an app called
alsaconf, it's just like any OSS setup programme really. ALSA is favoured by
multimedia developers now though, as it supports advanced features of
soundcards, like surround sound, etc.