[plug] packaged brand-name PCs vs custom

Michael Holland myk at westnet.com.au
Thu Jun 10 07:54:15 WST 2004

On Wed, 9 Jun 2004, Senectus - wrote:

> I was thinking of buying another one of these:
> http://www.optima.com.au/product_modeldt.asp?ModelID=17

I'd be a little surprised to see a Linux user buying a pre-packaged destop
PC. Is there anything to gain these days? Maybe if you wanted the bundled
software it becomes cheaper? It surely cannot be the telephone support :-(

> Hyper Thread CPU
> half a gig of decent DDR
> DVD burner
> Supports SATA as well..
> Damn nice machine for around $1000.00.. All it needs is a decent graphics
> card and it set..

What would it cost to get the same from an Osbourne Park box-mover?
They would customise exactly how you wanted it.

> Senectus

P.S. Senectus, I can forgive the top-posting, but please dont post pages
and pages of irrelevant quotes. If nobody made the effort to edit, the
replies would get awfully long and signal lost in a pile of noise.