[plug] packaged brand-name PCs vs custom

Senectus - senectuskal at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 10 08:16:56 WST 2004

> > I was thinking of buying another one of these:
> > http://www.optima.com.au/product_modeldt.asp?ModelID=17
>
>I'd be a little surprised to see a Linux user buying a pre-packaged destop
>PC. Is there anything to gain these days? Maybe if you wanted the bundled
>software it becomes cheaper? It surely cannot be the telephone support :-(

Because I've done it to death already.
My last 10 years in buying PC's was hunting down the parts I wanted thinking
that I knew better.. it was a lot of heartache and pain for no real gain..
The way I see it, its the same amount of gain either way...

>What would it cost to get the same from an Osbourne Park box-mover?
>They would customise exactly how you wanted it.
*shrug* Don't know and don't care.
The price looked good to me, I opened the box and saw that it has decent
parts (ie mother board is a decent Asus board). The case was nice looking
and wasn't flimsy or an abortion to organize on the inside...
Hey its not mission critical equipment here.. If I wanted a cluster or
something of importance I'd buy IBM or HP, because YES they do have good
support.. and they have linux supported drivers.

>P.S. Senectus, I can forgive the top-posting, but please don't post pages
>and pages of irrelevant quotes. If nobody made the effort to edit, the
>replies would get awfully long and signal lost in a pile of noise.

I 'm not sure what "Top Posts" are.. but, as for the rest. I'd like to ask
you to not be such a prima donna.
It wasn't pages and pages of irrelevant quotes, unless your looking at a
very small screen in which case tough cookies sonny.

I will however apologize for using hotmail for my mail list discussions... I
intend to change that very soon.

Sometimes I feel that this list can be very "elitist" to a pointlessness.

Drink less coffee and have a nice day ;-)
Marcus