e-mail list etiquette again [was: Re: [plug] packaged brand-name PCs vs custom]

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Thu Jun 10 09:30:24 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 11:05, James Devenish wrote:
> I would make a joke about some of Onno's etiquette postings, but that
> would be an "in joke" and would basically prove the above point :-( ;-)

/me jumps in :-)

I've constructed a FAQ for another list I subscribe to with the
assistance of the members of that list. While I understand that some of
the details may need some modification, perhaps this would assist as a
starting point.

I'm not suggesting that this be adopted, nor that it is the definitive
list, but perhaps it will assist in the improvement of the signal to
noise ratio of this list.

Initial modifications made to suit this list:

---START---
        As a community, PLUG is a group of people who send each other
        email, generally about Linux issues. The group is now so large
        that not everyone knows everyone else, so we've come up with the
        following suggestions for your valued contributions to this
        list. This is not a rule-book, but a suggestion which makes your
        questions and answers as helpful to as many people as possible.

        Before posting a message to PLUG:

             1. Did you attempt to resolve the problem yourself?
             2. Did you search the message archive for a similar
                problem?
             3. Did you search the web for a similar problem?
             4. Did you give your post a relevant, meaningful Subject?
             5. It is good practice to include System Information where
                relevant.
             6. It is good practice to show unsuccessful attempts at
                resolution.
             7. It is good practice to include relevant URLs.

        When you reply to a posting made by another person:

             1. Did you only respond to the list - unless specifically
                asked otherwise?
             2. Did you quote only appropriate parts of the message?
             3. Did you attribute the quotes correctly?
             4. It is good practice to put your response *below* the
                quoted part.
             5. It is good practice to include relevant URLs.
             6. It is good to be mindful of a future user who searches
                the archive.
             7. If you don't *know*, then say that you're guessing.
             8. If you're not sure, then say that you think so.
             9. If your response is really a new post, adjust the
                Subject accordingly.

        The Digest List:

        As a subscriber, you can choose to receive each individual
        message, or a daily digest. If you receive the digested version
        of the list and respond, be sure to change the Subject of your
        response, otherwise other subscribers will not be able to follow
        the thread of conversation.
---END---

Kind regards,

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..