[plug] packaged brand-name PCs vs custom

Scott Middleton scott at linuxit.com.au
Thu Jun 10 13:11:29 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 12:34, Bernd Felsche wrote:
<snip>

> > That is EXACTLY what I do. I tell them what I want, they get it,
> > build it and test it and it costs me $27 more. ...
>
> There's a risk in that. I did that for a while and I found that the
> assemblers not only routinely keep "spare" screws, etc, but also
> substituted 40-wire IDE cables for the 80-wire ones that came
> packaged with the mainboard. Never mind the practice of "neat"
> folding of IDC cables which result in poor conductor reliability.
> In term of EMI, it's actually better to have the cables "randomly"
> placed.

That's all well and good including the rest of your comments but thats
why I use a reputable computer shop. I have confidence in the people I
use, I don't stuff around finding RAM because I get RAM that works first
time. If I say I am worried about heat they build it with that in mind.
I like to think of myself as being pretty good with hardware, I do build
a few computers. But these guys build several a day and that sort of
experience has to count for something.

Maybe this kind of computer shop is rare.

Kind Regards

--
Scott Middleton <scott at linuxit.com.au>
Linux Information Technology