[plug] packaged brand-name PCs vs custom

Michael Collard quadfour at iinet.net.au
Thu Jun 10 13:49:38 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 13:11, Scott Middleton wrote:

> That's all well and good including the rest of your comments but thats
> why I use a reputable computer shop. I have confidence in the people I
> use, I don't stuff around finding RAM because I get RAM that works first
> time. If I say I am worried about heat they build it with that in mind.
> I like to think of myself as being pretty good with hardware, I do build
> a few computers. But these guys build several a day and that sort of
> experience has to count for something.
>
> Maybe this kind of computer shop is rare.

I still haven't seen a computer shop selling anything like my machine,
AMD64, 1Gb RAM etc. I got the impression when buying this thing (in
bits) that only people that 'knew' what they were doing would buy the
bits, and they would obviously want to put it together themselves.

I've never bought a prepackaged machine and as long as I know what I'm
buying then I can get it from anywhere. My CPU is from PLE, video card
from MCG etc...

I have no loyalty for computer shops. Whoever sells the bits I want for
the lowest price gets my money :)  Well thats my 2c.

Michael Collard