[plug] Market researchers calling Perth Businesses

Jacqueline McNally j-conversations at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Thu Jun 10 13:13:16 WST 2004

Scott Middleton wrote:

> Just a heads up for some people.
>
> I just got a phone call from IDC Malaysia asking if I wanted to take
> part in a survey of Linux take-up in my business. Being the cynical
> person I am, I said that unless they told me who the research is for I
> wont take part in it.
>
> I got a phone call a few minutes later by a supervisor who said I wasn't
> the right business anyway because we sell Linux here but could she get
> the contact details of our clients. I repeated myself saying that I wont
> help unless I know who is funding the research and that I wouldn't be
> giving out details to a stranger in a foreign country either. She asked
> if IDC Australia could call me.
>
> I could keep going but in the end they told me it was definitely for
> Microsoft. I told them no.
>
> Just in case you think you are promoting Linux by answering a few
> "harmless" questions in a survey.

Thanks Scott.

I receive a number of phone calls and emails from people wishing for me
to participate in surveys and interviews.

Like Scott, I want to know who for and for what purpose.

I don't participate in telephone surveys anymore, and I do research and
follow-up the person requesting the information before I agree to
participate, or not.

But the shoe is on the other foot for me. In my new role with
OpenOffice.org, I now receive more direct requests and inquiries, and
most of these are from outside Australia.

For example, just the other day, a US company contacted me to let me
know that they are migrating to OOo - and they are a 4500 seat business.

I am receiving more requests from what I call mainstream media IN
Australia, and it would be really great to have more local success
stories to share with them.

All the best
Jacqueline McNally

--