[plug] Cdr data recovery with Linux

Chris Caston caston at arach.net.au
Thu Jun 10 18:55:48 WST 2004

On Thu, 2004-06-10 at 18:13, William Kenworthy wrote:
> Try it on a couple of different cd drives -

OK I will try this if I need to.
>  I have noticed that some
> drives (Dell laptops are a case in point) seem to drop dead on some
CD's
> that other drives read fine - best one is often the one it was created

I don't have it here.
> on in the first place if its accessible.  cdrtools has a couple of
> programs that may also help create a good iso: check out readcd from
> that package which can reread sectors a number of times until it is
> happy with the data obtained.

Thanks,

I've tried: readcd dev=/dev/cdrom -clone -noerror

Read  speed:  7056 kB/s (CD  40x, DVD  5x).
Write speed:     0 kB/s (CD   0x, DVD  0x).
readcd: Success. read toc: scsi sendcmd: no error
CDB:  43 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 04 00
status: 0x2 (CHECK CONDITION)
Sense Bytes: 70 00 05 00 00 00 00 0C 00 00 00 00 24 00 00 00
Sense Key: 0x5 Illegal Request, Segment 0
Sense Code: 0x24 Qual 0x00 (invalid field in cdb) Fru 0x0
Sense flags: Blk 0 (not valid)
resid: 4
cmd finished after 0.001s timeout 40s
readcd: Cannot read TOC header
readcd: Read fulltoc problems.

The same data comes back when this is tried on each cd from the set.

> Check the cd for fingerprints or removable marks if you have not done
so
> already.  A borderline drive, and dirt in the wrong place equals no
go.

OK I have tried cleaning the cd drive using a cd drive cleaner. I
haven't tried cleaning the cd's yet but I think it was an issue in the
way the cd's were written.

> been there, done that ... many times
> BillK

Thanks for your help.