[plug] Mail Server/Gateway (Min Specs, other feedback)

Leon Blackwell leon at lostrealm.com
Thu Jun 10 20:09:02 WST 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 07:06:54PM +0800, Bernard Blackham wrote:
> > > Others here seem to like Dovecot.
> > Unfortunately, not in debian at all.
>
> Not in woody. Definitely in sarge & sid.

Okay, I did miss that (somehow miss typed it with apt-cache policy).

The problem is that sid is just not stable enough to use on a production
server, and sarge's method of update results in a lack of prompt
security fixes.  For example, subversion in sarge has known security
issues at the moment.  The only way to resolve these issues is to
upgrade to the version in sid -- but this is not always possible.

Debian/stable is the only distribution that is predictble, stable and
has prompt security updates.

There does appear to be an unofficial backport:

http://wiki.dovecot.org/moin.cgi/DebianStable
points you to
http://src.braincells.com/debian/woody/dovecot/

but it is a version behind the one in testing/unstable, leaving me
wonder how dedicated the backporters are (the only set of backports I've
found to be really well done are the bunk-1 and bunk-2 sets).

--
 Leon Blackwell                | When you have to kill a man it costs
 http://www.lostrealm.com/     | nothing to be polite.