[plug] Mail Server/Gateway (Min Specs, other feedback)

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Fri Jun 11 01:13:42 WST 2004

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 08:09:02PM +0800, Leon Blackwell wrote:

> > Not in woody. Definitely in sarge & sid.
>
> The problem is that sid is just not stable enough to use on a production
> server, and sarge's method of update results in a lack of prompt
> security fixes.  For example, subversion in sarge has known security
> issues at the moment.  The only way to resolve these issues is to
> upgrade to the version in sid -- but this is not always possible.
>
> Debian/stable is the only distribution that is predictble,

Predictable is one way to put it ;)

> stable and has prompt security updates.

.... though out of date. Dovecot is relatively new and didn't make
it in time for woody. Though I do agree that woody is the best
choice for a secure and low-maintenance debian distribution.

> There does appear to be an unofficial backport:
>
> but it is a version behind the one in testing/unstable, leaving me
> wonder how dedicated the backporters are (the only set of backports I've
> found to be really well done are the bunk-1 and bunk-2 sets).

This latest version was only released 2 weeks ago, and although this
may be a looong time in internet years, I'm not surprised that it
hasn't been backported yet. The debian maintainer (who I believe
creates those backports) is very responsive and might just make them
if somebody asks nicely :)

My 2c,

Bernard.

<random amusing quote from the dovecot list>

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>