[plug] Mail Server/Gateway (Min Specs, other feedback)

Michael Holland myk at westnet.com.au
Fri Jun 11 08:31:31 WST 2004

On Thu, 10 Jun 2004, Tim White wrote:

> * AMD i486 (66 Bogomips. From memory a 133 Mhz)
> * 32Mb EDO ram (100Mb Swap)

No problem. In ye olde days, people ran X-windows on 386s with 8MB.
Without a GUI, this box will be plenty fast enough.
Squid can use whatever memory you give it, but the hard disk is still a
lot faster than the dialup.

  With a dialup connection, I suggest you look at wwwoffle . Its a web
proxy designed for dialup connections, and caches for off-line browsing.
It can do blocking, monitor specified pages etc. Users can request pages
to be downloaded on next connection. Its probably a lot lighter than squid
too.

http://www.gedanken.demon.co.uk/wwwoffle/

> back to qpopper. I am also looking at using iptables for NAT and firewalling.

Check the 'shorewall' frontend.

>          * fetchmail and some sendmail script for sending queued mail and
> receiving mail from external servers when connected [1]

 /etc/ppp/ip-up.local  :   /usr/sbin/sendmail -q

Of course, 'sendmail' is really a link to postfix :-)
And put a line to start fetchmail in the same file.

> [1] I know that fetchmail will fetch from external pop servers and deliver
> to local SMTP but how do i do sending of queued messages?

Its standard feature of sendmail and postfix.  sendmail -q

ciao, Mike/Michael/myk