[plug] Odd errors in log..

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Fri Jun 11 10:11:33 WST 2004

On Friday 11 June 2004 09:58, Senectus - wrote:

> Our old 7.2 SuSE locked up completely this morning (no crtl alt
> f1, f2 and no ping either) so I went looking for some reason and
> found these odd errors in the /var/log/warn :

7.2?? An antique. :-)

> Jun  9 23:18:43 pthlnx01 kernel: Uhhuh. NMI received. Dazed and confused,
> but trying to continue
> Jun  9 23:18:43 pthlnx01 kernel: You probably have a hardware problem
> with your RAM chips

> Interesting terminology.. :-P
> How can I check for bad ram on a currently uptime critical linux box?

memtest86

The scheduled downtime to run memtest will be of less consequence
than a panic/wedge/crash at an unschedulued time due to bad memory.

You may also want to check your log files for hints about hard disk
errors. If the drives support S.M.A.R.T., then make sure that you're
using that and monitoring their condition.