[plug] [OT] Strange system speeds (And Q3A: Linux .vs. Windows)

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Fri Jun 11 15:37:10 WST 2004

Tim White wrote:

> Playing HL[1] on p3-667 using DirectX plays fine and using software
> rendering is still playable. Selecting OpenGL mode in HL is playable
> although jerky so I don't know if it is reverting back to software
> mode but it doesn't appear so.

You'll know if it does revert back to software mode.. the difference in
quality should be huge.  I'd suggest you download the latest patches for
HL.  You should also be playing it in OpenHL, as D3D always had issues
with Half-Life (on many different cards).

> Quake on the p3-667 with a G450 under Linux runs at 40.9fps (although
> during the demo if fluctuates between 30 and 100)

The G450 should be faster than the TNT2 anyway...  I had a G400 in a
computer and it used to run UT in particular so much faster than the
TNT2 I used to have.

> If anyone knows of why the TNT2s behave so erratically in the p3-667
> then please tell me.

If you're using the drivers that come with Windows, ditch them and go
and find some better ones.  Also, the latest detonator drivers will be
slower than older versions, as they do nothing for a TNT2, only things
for the last 4 or so generations of nVidia cards since the TNT2.  So you
may need to do some searching around the net (guru3d maybe worth a look)
for some older drivers.

/ Ben