[plug] [OT] Strange system speeds (And Q3A: Linux .vs. Windows)

Tim White weirdo at tigris.org
Fri Jun 11 16:04:28 WST 2004

At 15:37 11/06/2004 +0800, you wrote:
>Tim White wrote:
>>Playing HL[1] on p3-667 using DirectX plays fine and using software
>>rendering is still playable. Selecting OpenGL mode in HL is playable
>>although jerky so I don't know if it is reverting back to software mode
>>but it doesn't appear so.
>
>You'll know if it does revert back to software mode.. the difference in
>quality should be huge.  I'd suggest you download the latest patches for
>HL.  You should also be playing it in OpenHL, as D3D always had issues
>with Half-Life (on many different cards).

Difference in quality is almost not noticeable in old games like that. I
always play in OpenGL anyway. Due to the computer speed Software rendering
is fast enough and at a high enough quality for HL due to the good engine.

>>If anyone knows of why the TNT2s behave so erratically in the p3-667 then
>>please tell me.
>If you're using the drivers that come with Windows, ditch them and go and
>find some better ones.  Also, the latest detonator drivers will be slower
>than older versions, as they do nothing for a TNT2, only things for the
>last 4 or so generations of nVidia cards since the TNT2.  So you may need
>to do some searching around the net (guru3d maybe worth a look) for some
>older drivers.

I am using 53.xx Detenator drivers. I NEVER use the default windows drivers.

Tim

weirdo AT tigris DOT org (MSN Enabled) | ICQ# 255176389 | Riverton, Perth, WA
--- Computer languages are the only real universal languages