[plug] Snappy UI

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Fri Jun 11 17:56:09 WST 2004

Craig Ringer wrote:

| >I want RENDER acceleration on my Radeon - drawing antialiased text
| >just shouldn't slow a 2GHz+ machine to a crawl.
|
| It's pretty nice with my GeForce 4 Ti 4800 :-)
| Even Mozilla is reasonably fast.

Speaking of Mozilla... all of the Mozilla-based browsers that I've used
seem reach a point once they've been open long enough (or have enough
tabs open?) that they hog the CPU for several seconds when they lose
keyboard focus.  I'm not entirely sure what it is that they're doing
or why it doesn't always happen, but it makes it a real pain to switch
between browser windows and anything else.

| >No it doesn't.  packages.debian.org/kdebase says testing has kde 3.2.2-1.
|
| I should've added "unless you run Debian Sid." Silly me.

Or Mandrake ;-)  Seriously, though, Onno mentioned in his post that
he's running sarge.

| Even so, it's probably built with traditional "make-it-go-faster on
| the CPU, size be dammed" flags. (I'd be interested in confirmation
| of exactly what flags they _do_ use, btw)

CFLAGS has -Wall -g -O2, apparently.  With -s in LDFLAGS - so that the
autobuilders can have fun generating debug information for 11
architectures which will then be discarded by the linker :-P

Cameron.