[plug] Snappy UI

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Sun Jun 13 07:24:23 WST 2004

This all looks good - the laptop times are close to those I am used to
for laptop drives running at their best.

This leaves tuning the system software?  What kernel and desktop (I
deleted the rest of the thread and cant remember if you mentioned them?)

I was so frustrated yesterday with gnome (lost the disk menu from the
right click on desktop) so I installed KDE overnight.  Seems to run
faster and smoother, despite turning on every piece of eye candy known
to geekdom so I might move back after some 3 years under the gnome
foot.  Its puzzling that gnomes more minimal (read lack of) features
hasnt translated into a noticable speed advantage as it did back then.

BillK