[plug] Snappy UI

Onno Benschop onno at itmaze.com.au
Sun Jun 13 16:49:53 WST 2004

On Sun, 2004-06-13 at 09:24, William Kenworthy wrote:
> This leaves tuning the system software?  What kernel and desktop (I
> deleted the rest of the thread and cant remember if you mentioned them?)

Ok, before I get into kernels and gnome/kde, window managers etc. I
figure that the next thing is to determine if my machine supports video
acceleration, and if I'm using it.

The manual tells me that I have:

        North Bridge Intel 815E (GMCH 82815E)
        66 / 100 / 133 MHz Operation
        High-Performance DRAM Controller capable of back-to-back access
        for SDRAM up to 100MHz

        VGA
        AGP VGA controller is integrated on the North Bridge.
        Shared Memory Architecture use maximum 4MB of system memory as
        VGA memory.
        Standard CRT connector can drive CRT monitor up to 1600*1200*8
        or 1280*1024*24.
        TV support is up to 800*600 resolution both NTSC and PAL for
        S-video or RCA connector.

My current screen is a 15" LCD panel and my computer is running at
1024x768. The maximum resolution of the panel is 1024x768.

I don't know how to determine my current video depth.

I'm sure I'd be happy with 16 bit colour, if I'm not already running
that, but I'd need some guidance on determining the correct bits to
tweak. Perhaps even 8bit would be fine most of the time, I'd like to
test.

I'm also not sure how I'd determine if I'm using the correct video
driver, if there are others, etc.

Any guidance is appreciated.

Cheers,

Onno Benschop

Connected via Optus B3 at S27°52'30" - E151°16'25" (Millmerran, QLD)
--
()/)/)()        ..ASCII for Onno..
|>>?            ..EBCDIC for Onno..
--- -. -. ---   ..Morse for Onno..