[plug] SMS gateways

Bernard Blackham bernard at blackham.com.au
Sun Jun 13 20:41:05 WST 2004

On Sun, Jun 13, 2004 at 08:30:48PM +0800, Shayne O'Neill wrote:
> I'm looking at building a facility as follows
>
> Someone sends an sms to a number, this is then fwded to an email list and
> a list of perhaps 20-30 sms numbers. This is for a charity mob that need a
> rapid response facility
>
> Any suggestions, cheapness is a bonus.

How's $60 sound?

Nokia 5110                                     $10
$30 prepaid SIM card (Optus/Virgin/Telstra)    $30
Data cable                                     $20
Linux PC running gammu and some scripts        $obtainable ?

And you get $30 of credit ;)

A vodafone simcard I recently had lasted a year or so without
recharging. Gnokki does feed directly into a postgres or mysql
database, but I've found it to be a little buggy and slow in talking
to the phone - gammu is a fork of gnokki and much faster & more
reliable!

And there's most likely somebody with a 5110 wasting away in their
shed.

A more elegant solution would be a GSM PCI card (or a PCMCIA card
with a laptop perhaps obtain from the Computer Angels garage sale?
:) ... possibilities are endless.

I know this probably wasn't quite what you were looking for, but
may turn out to be a whole lot cheaper :)

Bernard.

--
 Bernard Blackham <bernard at blackham dot com dot au>