[plug] Call me crazy but ..

Harry harrymc at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Mon Jun 14 20:45:00 WST 2004

Dear PLUGers

Computer Angels debian mirror is rsynced as of a week ago and I have a
crazy project idea.

We started to consider new distro options a while ago and various
Computer Angels ppl have been too busy to move this forward. I'd like to
explore a sarge snapshot to see if it'll be a solution before it becomes
stable. Yes, this epoch could be a new thread so please make your own if
you want to have a winge :-)

The open ended questions I have is:

If you wanted a facility to "Click on anything"
- on disk (from a file manager)
- as an email attachment, or
- on the net
what minimum set of GUI apps would handle lots of file types ? To keep disk
requirements low and committed pretty well to AbiWord and Gnumeric so we'd
like to avoid KDE based apps.

Our minimum memory spec is now 64MB so the apps still have to be reasonably
light. I have a little list (which I can post up) but I thought that I'd be
good to get some ideas and then ask the "But what if .." questions.

It would also help me a lot if people can tar up and send /etc dirs,
debian installed package lists or user configuration dirs, especially if
you have built a light weight system like this for your own use.

We are also wanting to setup sound and, from reading, ALSA seems the best
alternative and so we also need apps for multimedia files.

If I can get some feedback on the list (and config files off-list) I'll do
the monkey work to put a pattern together that we can image for Craig's
installer. If I can achieve it, I'd like to be able to show the distro off
for comment and feedback at the Installfest. I'd really welcome any ideas
people have to offer.

All the best
Harry

--