[plug] cupsd issues

Simon Scott sscott at westnet.com.au
Tue Jun 15 16:20:19 WST 2004

> Simon Scott wrote:
> > After installing cups and configuring, it refuses to print. The web
> > interface claims "Parallel port busy; will retry in 30 seconds..."
>
> Any chance the parport is disabled in BIOS? I can easily imagine CUPS as
> the sort of app that would take a 'no such device' failure on opening
> the device as "didn't work, assuming busy".

No, the parallel port wasnt disabled.

> Are you able to confirm that the parport drivers are working and that
> it's possible to at least open the device for access? Is the 'lp' driver
> loaded?

After stuff around forever, I came to the conclusion that the parallel port
must be stuffed. Removing 'kif' from under the desk so I could replace it
with 'zapp', I was met with the astonishing realisation that the printer was
plugged into 'bender' :(

Im so ashamed..... its such a newbie mistake. You may now all beat me with
sticks.