[plug] Annoyances

James Devenish devenish at guild.uwa.edu.au
Tue Jun 15 17:23:07 WST 2004

In message <1087289708.3035.5.camel at latte.internal.itmaze.com.au>
on Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 06:55:08PM +1000, Onno Benschop wrote:
> I'm using gnome-terminal under Debian. When I run modconf, I get all
> manner of accented A's, E's and O's, rather than the pretty lines I need
> to see.

"Works for me." Switching between some different values of LANG and
LC_ALL made no difference, either. Changing fonts didn't make /much/
difference, although some monospace fonts did not contain the requisite
characters (I got blanks instead). The only difference is if I run
modconf inside `screen`, in which case the lines don't display properly.
Now, it does appear that gnome-terminal claims to emulate xterm, but
perhaps there is some libzvt bug that manifests when using screen.
Hmm...yes, I suspect this is the case (works fine outside of screen,
but not correctly inside screen, although I think the culprit is
gnome-terminal, not screen.