[plug] Multiple ethernet cards, same driver

Russell Steicke r.steicke at bom.gov.au
Tue Jun 15 21:54:53 WST 2004

Hi,

I think this has come up before, but I don't remember if there was a
solution...

If I have a machine with multiple ethernet interfaces, and each
interface is the same type of PCI card (and therefore uses the same
kernel module), is it guaranteed that the same cards will be eth0 and
eth1 after each boot or power-on?  (Assuming x86 PC hardware)

If not, how do I make it so?

I'm interested specifically in the 8139too module.  It doesn't seem to
take the io=0xAAA,0xBBB module parameter that would be used were these
ISA cards, although I can't test that at the moment as they're in a live
system.

Googling confirms over and over that multiple cards with one driver
works fine, but I can't find anything that tells me that my machine
won't come up one day with eth0 and eth1 swapped.

--
Russell Steicke

-- Fortune says:
Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt.
		-- Herbert Hoover