[plug] Multiple ethernet cards, same driver

Ben Jensz plug at jensz.id.au
Tue Jun 15 23:03:36 WST 2004

Adam Ashley wrote:

>pci cards are number from 0 up, starting next to the cpu/agp slot. the
>kernel and its drivers initialise cards from slot 0 working their way up
>
>Adam

Thats always the way it has worked for me as well.

I have a machine that acts as a firewall that has twin Intel Pro 100+
NICs, its around 4 years old now and it has had a couple of different
versions of Linux on it during that time and I've never had a problem
with physical cards switching between being eth0 and eth1.

/ Ben