[plug] Multiple ethernet cards, same driver

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Tue Jun 15 23:10:18 WST 2004

Adam Ashley wrote:
> pci cards are number from 0 up, starting next to the cpu/agp slot. the
> kernel and its drivers initialise cards from slot 0 working their way up

In theory they do that.
The reality is that they will always scan the PCI bus in the same way, but it may not be sequential
as I found out with my Promise SATA150 SATA cards.

My PCI scan order is something like 0-1-4-3-5-6 from the AGP slot.
Anyway, to answer the original question, yes they will always be ordered the same way unless they
change the BIOS.

Regards,
Brad