[plug] Multiple ethernet cards, same driver

Cameron Patrick cameron at patrick.wattle.id.au
Wed Jun 16 04:25:09 WST 2004

Bernard Blackham wrote:

| On Tue, Jun 15, 2004 at 11:14:27PM +0800, John Usher (Maptek) wrote:
| > Hmmm.... can you alias an ethX to a completely different name? That would be
| > useful.... something like ifalias eth0 ethinet. ifalias eth1 ethlocal.
| > something like that...
|
| ip link set eth0 name ethlocal
|
| will do it :)

Also, you can stick interface names and MAC addresses in /etc/mactab
and then run 'nameif' to set the interface names automagically :-)

You can only rename an interface when it's down.

In Debian, you can stick

	pre-up nameif

in /etc/network/interfaces and have interfaces renamed automatically
when they're brought up.  (I've not tried this particular trick
myself, but I recall someone mentioning it on debian-devel a while
ago.)

Cameron.